Before I knew about essential oils, I didn’t really know the difference between essential oils and fragrance oils: to me, they were just pretty smelling oils. But as I learned more about the benefits of using pure essential oils, I came to understand what a big difference there is between the two. Probably the biggest difference is the fragrance oils are synthetic and the essential oils are natural.
Katie, The Wise Wife, wrote a very detailed blog post about the pros and cons of these two types of oils.
The downside of fragrance oils:
- Fragrance oils are synthetic
- Fragrance oils may be composed of essential oils, chemicals, and resins
- Fragrance oils could contain: DPG (Di Propelyne Glycol), Di Ethyl Phthalate, isopropyl myristate, other types of phthalates, and/or other carcinogenic chemicals
- Fragrance oils are protected by the FDA as “trade secrets” – meaning that companies do not have to disclose all of the ingredients in the fragrance oil
- Fragrance oils lack the natural benefits of essential oils
Go check out the rest of Katie’s article: it’s a very interesting read!
Image from flickr.