As moms (or dads), we try to do what’s best for our children, and that might include treating minor ailments with essential oils. Please be careful if your children are under 5 years old, since many of the essential oils that are perfect for adults could cause quite some damage to young children.
Here are just a few of the oils you should never use for your child under 5:
A question that gets asked on the Using Essential Oils Safely facebook group is, “What essential oils can I use on my children?”
The short answer is, many of them can be, if properly diluted. Read: Properly Diluting Essential Oils.
So here, finally, is a list of essential oils with warnings against using on or around children according to The Book, Essential Oil Safety (click here to download a printable pdf version of this list):
- Anise/AniseedPimpinella anisum – avoid using (all routes) on children under 5
- Anise (Star)Illicium verum – avoid using (all routes) on children under 5
- Basil (lemon)Ocimum x citriodorum – avoid topical use on children under 2
- BenzoinStyrax benzoin, Styrax paralleloneurus and Styrax tonkinensis – avoid topical use on children under 2
- Birch (sweet)Betula lenta – avoid using (all routes) on children
- Black SeedNigella sativa – avoid topical use on children under 2
- *CajuputMelaleuca cajuputi, Melaleuca leucadendron – avoid using on children under 6
- *CardamonElettaria cardamomum – avoid using on children under 6
- CassiaCinnamomum cassia, Cinnamomum aromaticum – avoid using on children under 2
There are a lot more oils to avoid on the next page!!!